Powered By Blogger
Welcome to my Stream of Thoughts!
The Alter of Mine...

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

SENTIMENTAL OBJECT

My first gold medal has a sentimental value. I got it when I was in my 5th grade for I became the first honor of our batch. The coming of this award was beyond my dreams, my expectations and my prayers…I never thought that I can achieve such award during that time because I never had one before. Thus, it’s my first chance to have a medal. It is the first time that I reap a fruit from my hardships in studying ever since.
I was in awe while papa and mama award my medal. I saw how blissful they were standing in front of the stage awarding me a medal. Although my parents keep on instilling to us the importance of education and being a professional, they never pushed us to achieve something that is beyond our limits. In fact, they were surprised for my achievement. This moment proved to me that even though we lack a wealthy living and I’m not that intelligent, I can succeed relying with my hard work, patience, perseverance, and faith in God. On the other side, it gave me a sense of worthiness from feelings of self-pity after a heart-breaking moment when I was sent out of the house by papa.
The coming of this medal actually started my drive to at least achieve something for me and my family. It is not that I’m reward driven but because I realized the along the way a sense of fulfillment comes with learning; that I have a potential for these things; that the world is not only for intelligent people but for everyone; and that success is like getting a coin from your coconut bank…your fingers ache but it’s nothing for you are happy having a coin to buy your cherry balls – it tastes a lot sweeter than the usual.

by George C. Bernardo

No comments:

Post a Comment